Translate

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Five by Five: Geeky Gleanings #1

As my blog states I'll be "musing" and "gleaning".  I consider the "musing" the long rants on just one topic. My "gleanings" will be chock full of nerdy stuff  I've enjoyed and just want to share. Things like photos, articles, Apps, videos, quotes and so forth.

Here is my first set of Geeky Gleanings :

1. GEEK & SUNDRY:

So, if you haven't subscribed to Felicia Day's new YouTube "Geek and Sundry" channel you are missing out. The always zany and witty host brings you the best geek tidbits out there on her segment   The Flog and her "Skill Set" segments are hilarious!  Also, on this channel are Wil Wheatons' segments called "Table Top" which would interested those into Table Top Gaming.

Subscribe at: http://geekandsundry.com/



2.  THE PODCAST: WE'RE ALIVE- A "ZOMBIE" STORY OF SURVIVAL



 I really love this podcast! I discovered it a few years ago. I know what you're thinking and no, it's not a bunch of dudes sitting around talking about how to survive a possible Zombie Apocalypse... it's a full cast dramatization! As a former Theatre Teacher nothing "rocks my boat" more than a full cast dramatization. And boy does it "rock"!  It has the scariest zombies I've ever encountered in any zombie story. It has über butt- kicking chicks (Riley, Lizzy and Kelly are my favorite). And of course there are cool Army dudes who lead the small band of survivors.  I feel the need, however, to make special mention of the character Burt Scott, played by Scott Marvin,  this character is so awesome he deserves his own podcast!

 This podcast is produced by KC Wayland @ Wayland Productions and it just stuns me that this high quality production is totally free! I've purchased some crappy audiobooks that can't compete with the quality of this podcast. It has a huge ensemble cast, superb sound mixing, great script writing and most importantly, it comes out consistently! They have a story arc in place and haven't stopped producing shows. This is not always the case with podcasts of this type. I have been suckered into full cast dramatizations before only to be disappointed when they suddenly stop.  At present they are in Season 3 and they are still producing more. I trust the producers of this show to finish what they start.  When they do decide to end the podcast, I know we will be left with a satisfying conclusion.

I'm obviously not the only fan, they have tons of reviews on iTunes and Zune. They have positive reviews on blogs all over the web and they are currently nominated for an Audie Award.  The fan base for this podcast is so big that the fans have gotten together to produce a podcast about each chapter!  "Shut the front door!" you say? Yes, you read that right. It's a podcast about a podcast. It is called We're Not Dead.  Now, that is just pure geeky madness, and I love it! 

We're Alive is a fun ride and I look forward to every episode! If you are one of the few who haven't discovered this podcast it's time to check it out!

http://www.zombiepodcast.com/The_Zombie_Podcast/WereAliveEpisodes.html

 Still not convinced? Here is a mini documentary about the show from YouTube.


 
 

Oh, and I forgot to mention the art design for the each chapter is simply amazing! So, there... I mentioned it!


 3. UNDERWORLDS: AN APP FOR iPAD, iPHONE or iTOUCH!


 Don't have time to play the new Diablo 3 or you just need a fix in between the time you are able to get back to your Diablo 3 save game. Then Underworlds is the perfect App for you! Here is a little sample of what's in the game:
  • Explore mysterious graveyards, dark chambers and dangerous crypts
  • Customize your character's attributes and feats to suit your play-style
  • Test your skill on 4 difficulty settings, including the ‘extreme’ difficulty challenge
  • Find thousands of unique armor and weapons to use or trade for gold
  • Discover hidden traps and treasures
  • Chose from two control schemes to make playing easy at home or on the go
  • Save your progress at any time or restart with your current experience and items
  • Enjoy Underworlds again and again - no two adventures will be the same!
This little App totally makes the time in the waiting room of your Doctor's office whiz on by! I love it! It's completely addictive. The storyline is fun and you can play it over and over !  It's crazy cool and hardcore gamers should love this App because it plays like a computer game on your iPhone.

Check it out!   http://underworlds.pixelminegames.com/About.aspx


Click on this link to read a reveiw of Underworld from Touch Arcade




4. PINTEREST:



 I know it's a major time waster!  But, I have to admit, I love pinning so much I had to start a "Pinning Page" for this blog. What a great way to "glean" topic ideas for a blog! Looking through other people's nerdy pins totally get's my mind reeling and ready to blog.  Plus, I've learned what all the "cool kids" are doing with their nerdy ideas. You have to receive an invitation from a friend in order to start your own boards but, chances are you already know someone who is "pinning". So, bug a buddy,  get them to set you an invite and start pinning away!  If you only want to look at Pins with a "Geeky" or "Nerdy" theme then follow my pins@ http://pinterest.com/thescifichick/




5. FOLLOW GEORGE TAKEI ON THE WEB
What? You're not following George Takei on the web? Then you're the only nerd in town that isn't! Catch the bus, man!  The former Star Trekker is ALL OVER the web. You can find George on Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter. He also, has a website and a blog .  You can find his books on Goodreads, watch Star Trek on Netflix and follow his YouTube channel. Oh, an did I mention he is also starring in a Allegiance a New American Muscial? Well, he is... so, if you are missing the awesomeness of "The Takei" on the web well... you must live under a rock. Wink ;)Wink ;)!

Click here to "get on the bus": http://www.georgetakei.com/












Five by Five
The SciFi Chick

5 comments:

  1. I could have written this list too! I'm loving Geek and Sundry. Just fantastic. They don't make We're Alive episodes fast enough! I started listening to them while at the cottage around a campfire. Just awesome. I have a Pintrest addiction that I need to work on. (I need to create more boards). George is always entertaining. I'll have to check out that game though, I'm sure there's at least ten minutes of my day not filled with some sort of productivity killing distraction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whole reason I started this blog is to find like minded folk to chat with! Welcome to the blog! I am looking forward to checking out your blog! Yes, check out the App it is a blast.

      Delete
  2. Love your blog! This list is too perfect! I have to start my day with some Takei humor! Glad you are spreading the word! And I may need a 12 step program for my Pinterest addiction. LOVE it! I could spend hours…or days. I will have to check out the podcast. It sounds fantastic! Glad to know it isn't hokey like some can be. The kids are planning a zombie movie shoot this summer. It should be a lot of fun to see how it turns out. Interesting ideas they have about zombies and how to prepare to face them. Ah, youth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yo, girl! How is my fellow Mom Geek doing? Miss ya bunches. Thanks for checking out my new hobby... ah I mean Blog. The Zombie podcast is really good but warning not kid friendly! Put on your headphones,lol!

      Delete
  3. Regarding the shout out (or Zombie Growl) to We're Alive...nice! Great show. Kc Wayland, writer/director/prodcer is...genius. Orson Welles...only a few hundred pounds lighter. Yes. The crew and the cast...what a genuine and generous bunch. Honest, earnest, ego-less bunch. No, I'm far from bias because I'm a cast member. Me and my favorite girl, Shirley appear on occasion. However...I'm a fan first. Actor second. Burt (my character) pops up here and there and is scattered throught the series. Moreover, my eldest boy Nicolai played Tommy in Season One. It's now late in Season Three...and they have ME tuning each damn Monday night to see what happens next. Yup. No doubt. This is pro stuff. Dig it. Learn from it. This is a lost audio artform, the serial drama, that Kc just pulled up outta the dirt and mixed some crawdad DNA (go Jim Gleason!) to make a zombielicious YouBetYourAssIc Park ride for all to enjoy. Sit back and enjoy. It hasn't gotten better than this. Yet. Love the idea of a Burt Scott spinoff! It'd keep me in my most cherished artistic endeavor this side of being....Very Punnny (natch!). Dig it! Scott C. Marvin

    ReplyDelete