Translate

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Musings about Geeky TV 2012-2013

                                    Geeky TV Returns! 

Here are the air dates, plot scenarios,promo trailers and a SciFi Chick Muses rating of some of the more popular and highly anticipated fall Fantasy/SciFi/Supernatural TV Shows.                       

Sunday Nights:


Once Upon A Time (Returning Season 2)

Network: ABC 
Airs: Premieres Sunday September 30th, 8/7c 
Where we left off: The action picks up with the Queen's curse broken and a purple cloud enveloping the town of Storybrook.
What to expect: Trouble begins right away! Snow and Emma will have their bravery and ability to persevere tested. Rumplestiltskin and Belle will be reunited. Rumple will continue his search for his son.(It is has been hinted that we may have met Rumple's son last season.) We will also meet Henry's father and learn his backstory with Emma. New characters will be introduced! Say hello, to Sir Lancelot, The Giant from Jack and the Beanstalk, Aurora and Prince Phillip and Mulan!
A SciFi Chick Muses Rating: 

Can't wait! This one is a "family" watch in our household. This ScFi Chick and her chicklets will be watching this one "live"!




Trailer:



Do No Harm (New Series)

Network: NBC
Airs: Premieres Midseason in January 9/8c 
The Plot: A variation on Dr.Jekyll and Mr.Hyde which centers around a Philadelphia
neurosurgeon. From 7AM-9PM every day, Dr. Jason Cole is a conscientious doctor and good natured man who is in love with Dr. Solis. However, he can’t be with her, or anyone else, after 9PM, because that’s when he becomes his alter ego, Ian. Ian is a party animal with a violent streak. Jason has been keeping Ian under wraps for 5 years with a drug. When the series opens we discover the drug is no longer working and Ian is free to wreak havoc every night.
A SciFi Chick Muses Rating: 

Reserving judgement until I watch the pilot. However,the synopsis gives the impression that this is a show I'd watch on Netflix. I don't have the sense that I'll be waiting with bated breath each week to catch the next episode. 



Trailer:






666 Park Avenue (New Series)



Network: ABC
Airs:Premieres Sunday September 30th, 10/9c 
The Plot: Based on Gabriella Pierce's novel. This supernatural soap revolves around an apartment building run by the soul stealing Gavin and Olivia Drake. Lots of scares are in store for the tenants living on a hell-mouth.
A SciFi Chick Muses Rating: 

I dunno? It could go either way for me on this one. After watching the 1st episode of that other supernatural soap, American Horror Story I was like 'ewww'! But, by episode 2 I was hooked. But, I get the feeling this show may be a little too "LA Complex" for me. Does anyone else remember ABC's other venture into supernatural soaps, The Gates? I wasn't a fan of that show and my expectations are low for this one. I'll watch the first couple of episodes to get a better feel. 

Trailer:



Monday Nights:


Revolution (New Series)


Network: ABC
Already Airing:Premiered Monday September 17th, 10/9c 
Where to catch up on episodes: NBC.com, Hulu, iTunes
The Plot:  Set in a world where there is no electricity, communication, or transportation. The cause of the planet-wide blackout is unknown. The plot flashes back in forth in time a'la Lost style. The flash forwards find us in the world of the Monroe Republic which harkens back to a time when America was a colony fighting against an oppressive monarchy. The plot centers on Charlie Matheson and her brother Danny. Charlie and Danny's father is murdered by a Monroe Militia Capt. Tom Neville. Capt. Neville then kidnaps Danny to deliver to the leader of the Republic, Bass Monroe. Charlie searches for her bother with her swordsman fighting Uncle Miles. Unknown to Charlie her father had valuable knowledge about the blackout putting her and her loved ones at the "eye of the storm".
A SciFi Chick Muses Rating: 


This SciFi Chick and her “chick-lets” are already fans! Our family viewing schedule has added another show! The “chick-lets” love having a show centered on a brave, crossbow toting heroine. I enjoy the escapist fun. I'm not going to over think this one. I just want to enjoy. I love post apocalyptic settings! And there has been a hole in my apocalyptic lovin' heart ever since Jericho and Jeremiah were cancelled. And with Supernatural's Eric Kripke and Fringe/Lost J.J Abrams behind the wheel I am in for the long haul. The show also gets bonus points for hiring such directing talent as Jon Favreau (Ironman), and acting talent as Giancarlo Esposito (Breaking Bad, Once Upon a Time) and Elizabeth Mitchell (Lost). We are watching this show "live".

Trailer:



Wednesday Nights:

                   Supernatural (Returning Season 8)


Network: CW 
Airs: Premieres Wednesday October 3rd,9/8 Central
Where we left off: Dick Roman is dead. Leviathans still walk the earth. Cass and Dean are transported to Purgatory, which happens to be a dark and scary forest, with creatures lurking behind every tree. Kevin the prophet is missing and Sam is left alone to deal with Crowley.
What to expect: The show opens one year later. Dean has escaped Purgatory and Cass is missing. Eventually, Dean reunites with Sam and flashbacks will reveal how Dean survived and Sam’s journey without Dean. We will meet new characters. Amelia, who has a connection to Sam and a mysterious companion who traveled back with Dean. The Siblings will have to deal with the complications created by their new relationships and the year they spent a part.
A SciFi Chick Muses Rating: 




I'm a long time fan girl of Sam and Dean and their Impala. No question, I will be watching this show "live". 'cause I'd be an "idget" not too!




Trailer:

                         





                             Arrow (New Series)





Network:CW

Airs:Premieres Wednesday October 10th, 8/7c 
The Plot: CW's Green Arrow is based on Andy Diggle's "Green Arrow: Year One". If you are not familiar with the story, it goes something like this: Billion playboy Oliver Queen turns vigilante after spending five years as a castaway on an island. The shipwreck killed his lover and lead to his father's suicide. Queen goes back to Sterling City for revenge. The show will be using flashbacks to Queen's time on the island to develop his backstory. 
A SciFi Chick Muses Rating:



Ok, I'll have to admit it. I stuck through all 10 seasons of CW's Smallville. The good, the bad and Lana develops superpower years, too! While Arrow's producer Marc Guggenheim claims that Arrow will be more Dark Knight Rises than Samllville, I am skeptical that the CW is capable of making a show as dark as the Batman movies. The Green Arrow and the Black Canary are my favorite DC superheroes. So, will most definitely be "DVRing" Arrow and watching it when the chick-lets are at school. I am a sucker for a superhero!
Trailer:
                 



                      The Neighbors (A New Series)

Network:ABC
Airs: Premieres Wednesday Sept 26th 9:30/8:30c however, it's regular time is Wednesday at 8:30/7:30c the new time starts Oct. 3rd.
The Plot: The Weaver family moves to the community of Hidden Hills. They immediately notice that things are very different. The neighbors are all named after famous athletes, like Larry Bird and Mary Lou Retton. Other,odd encounters with the neighbors reveal that they are all aliens from plant Zabvron who have been stationed on Earth for 10 years.
A SciFi Chick Muses Rating:
I have a bad feeling. I am hoping for another 3rd Rock from the Sun but I'm afraid we might get an Alf. I'll check out the premiere before I pass judgement.
UPDATE: I did catch the Premiere. I found my self giggling a few times and hubs actually laughed. The show is still trying to find it's pacing and overall it felt very forced. The little kid alien was irritating and the  Dad alien, Larry Bird, is a little too kooky. But,there were some funny bits,the dinner scene and the toothpick sculpture are a few that pop to mind. However, they need to find their footing fast. Because, I can't see the network or the audience being patience with the show.

Trailer





                 American Horror Story (Returning Season 2)




Network: FX
Airs: Premieres Wednesday October 17th,10/9c
Where we left off: American Horror Story is an anthology series and last season it completely wrapped up it's storyline. We will be seeing some returning actors but the plot will be all new! 
What to expect: This season is set in a spooky Asylum in the 1960's! Expect high creep factor and NC-17 sex scenes. But, I've learned not to expect any ghosts this season.
A SciFi Chick Muses Rating: 


I watched the entire last season peaking through my fingers! A lot of "eww" and ton of jumping at the "bumps" in the night. I loved it! I will say this show isn't for everyone.  Gore, and explicit sex scenes may turn off the average viewer. But, if you like a truly good scare then show is for you! The first season reminded me of the movie The Shining. I am a little bummed about the "no ghost" announcement. However, I will be DVRing this show so I can watch it during the DAY! LOL!

Trailer




Thursday Nights:


               The Big Bang Theory (Returning Season 6)

Network: CBS
Airs: Premieres Thursday September 27th, 8/7c 
Where we left off: Season 5 finale saw Howard Wolowitz married to Bernadette in a romantic rooftop wedding and then he was skyrocketed off to the International Space Station. 
What to expect: Complications will arise with Howard and Bernadette's living situation. A strain will be put on Raj and Howard's relationship now that Howard is married. Sheldon and Amy celebrate the two-year anniversary of their first date.Penny and Leonard decide to hang out.
A SciFi Chick Muses Rating: 

Er, ahh... I guess it's time to for me to publicly admit I lost track of BBT in it's first season. I always meant to get back to watching it but now I find myself seasons behind! At this point, I am hoping it will show up on Netflix. I am so far behind it would cost me a small fortune on iTunes to watch all the seasons. So, I'll be skipping this season until I catch up. But, I know plenty of SciFi fans who will be watching this one "live".

Trailer: 



             The Vampire Dairies (Returning Season 4)
Network: CW
Airs: Premieres Thursday October 11th, 8/7c 
Where we left off: Doctor Fell has been using Vampire blood to heal patience's knowing that she risks them turning if they die. Alaric decides to to kill Klaus,tracks him down and stakes him. Damon, Stefan, Caroline and Tyler are puzzled as to why they didn't die. Unbeknownst to the gang, Bonnie cast a spell on Klaus that placed him in Tyler's body to save her friends and mother. In an act of revenge, Rebekah and Elijah try to kill Elena knowing her connection to Alaric will kill him too. Rebekah forces Elena and Matt's truck off the Wickery Bridge. As Stefan tries to save them Elena silently pleads for him to save Matt first,so he does. Elena downs. Alaric dies and Damon now knows Elena is dead too. When Damon gets to the hospital, Dr. Fell tells Damon she gave Elena vampire blood because she'd had a cerebral hemorrhage earlier. Stefan and Damon wait in the morgue as camera zooms in on Elena she opens her eyes...she now a vampire!
What to expect: Elena will struggle with the decision to feed in order to complete her transition. Of course Elena becoming a vampire will change the spin on her romantic tension with the brothers. Klaus will be taking full advantage of his possession of Tyler and cause much mischief. The season will focus on Elena's transition and Klaus'possession of Tyler.
A SciFi Chick Muses Rating: 



I've watched Vampire Dairies since season one. But I usually don't watch this show live. I DVR it and watch it when I want to indulge in a guilty pleasure. 





Trailer:





                 Beauty and the Beast (A New Series)

Network: CW
Airs: Premieres Thursday October 11th, 9/8c 
The Plot: Detective Catherine Chandler (the beauty) is rescued in the pilot by former army doctor, Vincent Koslow (the beast). He is a man with a mysterious past. Catherine will keep encountering Vincent as she investigates her "case of the week"
A SciFi Chick Muses Rating: 

A remake of the 1980's cult classic but, I think that is a loose comparison. In this version the Beast has a scar and his beastliness is an internal struggle. That sounds more like Jekyll and Hyde! Is this just a carbon copy of Smallville? Lana Lang, oops, I mean Catherine being continually rescued by a handsome stranger with secrets. How many times will she be conveniently knocked unconscious before she learns his identity? Don't get me wrong, I watched Smallville, but by the time that series wrapped up I was ready for it to be off the air! And if I have to choose between Smallville knock offs, I'm going to choose Arrow because at least I get a cool superhero.  I will not be watching this one live or DVRing. Maybe, when it goes to Netflix, I'll check it out. If any of my blog following peeps like it and you think I SERIOUSLY need to check it out! Post me a comment!

Trailer: 




Friday Nights:

                      Fringe ( 5th and Final Season)


Network: Fox
Airs: Premieres September 28th, 9/8c  
Where we left off:  The Fringe team has closed the bridge between the parellel universes to prevent David Robert Jones from collapsing both universes in order to create a third. It was revealed that David Robert Jones has been working for William Bell. Oliva discovered she has kinetic powers which helped save Peter's life in a deadly fight. Astrid takes a bullet while she and Walter try to track down Bell, she survies. Bell takes Walter to a ship at sea and reveals he's has been trying to create a new world. He claims the idea was originally Walter's. Oliva learns that she is the key to creating this new world because she is the power source that Bell needs collapse both universes. To stop Bell, Walter kills Olivia and Bell makes a hasty exit. Oliva is able to "resurrect" with Walter's help. While recovering in the hospital,Oliva, learns she is pregnant and the Fringe team share a happy moment. Later that night, the Observer, September, warns Walter "They're coming."
What to expect: The season opener picks up from the events from last season's "Letters of Transit". The episode that centers on events in year 2036 and the Observers rule. The Fringe team is now a rebel resistance and is on a mission to save the world from the Observers. The original Fringe team has been perserved in Amber and they are released to help the fight. Peter and Oliva are reunited with their daughter Etta.
A SciFi Chick Muses Rating: 
Big Fan! Love this show! Oliva is one of my favorite Kick-ass female leads. The 2036 storyline is fantastic! Can't wait! I will be watching this show "live"! I dare ya, to watch the trailer and not get excited! ;)

Trailer: 





                     

                      Grimm ( Returning Season2)



Network: NBC 
Already Airing. Premiered on Monday 8-13 and then took 2 weeks off now is airing on Fridays with new episodes starting on September 28th 9/8c
Where to catch up on episodes: ABC.com, Hulu, iTunes
Where we left off: When cop Nick Brukhardt's dying Aunt comes to town Nick learns he is a Grimm (He who hunts fairy tale creatures). He struggles to come to terms with his fate and quickly beings to hunt the evil creatures while leaving the less agressive creatures alone. Apparently, these creatures are not used to a Grimm who makes a distinction between good and evil creatures. In the last episode Nick finds a Wesen assassin trashing his house to find the coins just as the assassin gets the upper hand on him a mysterious woman shows up and rescues him. The woman is his Mother.
What to expect: Nick will cope with his Mother's return and search for a cure for Juliette.  Nick will also finally have to help Hank deal with his supernatural experiences.
A SciFi Chick Muses Rating: 

  I caught up with this series this summer. It's no Buffy, but I like it well enough. I can't watch it live because it competes with Fringe. Why they moved it to the Friday night death spot is beyond me! Fringe barely survived this spot! And to have it compete with Finge's final season gives me the impression that the network is trying to kill this series. I'll be watching this series on Hulu or NBC.com.

                       

                        Haven (Returning Season 3)


Network: SyFy 
Already Airing. Premieres Friday September 21st 10/9c
Where to catch up on episodes: Hulu and Syfy.com
Where we left off: I really don't know. I haven't been watching this one and researching it's plot was confusing. So, I just decided not too!
What to expect: It picks up immediately following the events of the season finale.
A SciFi Chick Muses Rating:












Well, one thing is for sure after reading up on this show I feel the need to start watching it! Sounds like it might have gotten better in Season 2! Looks like I can catch up on the other seasons at Amazon Prime or iTunes. They don't have it on Netflix streaming but they do have the discs. I only do the streaming. I don't like messing with discs. 




Trailer: 
                          



               
Saturday Nights:

Nothing!  Time to watch those show's on your DVR!



Sunday Nights:


                     Walking Dead (Returning Season 3)


Network: AMC

Airs:Premieres October 14th, 9/8c 
Where we left off: We learn after Shane's death that everyone is infected and that people will re-animate without being bitten. Meanwhile, a herd of walkers from Atlanta, destroy the farmhouse and kill Patricia and Jimmy.  The group flees and Andrea becomes separated from them. While in the forest Andrea is overtaken by walkers but, she is saved by a mysterious woman who can wield a machete and has two armless zombies chained to her. The rest of the gang make camp and the others questions Rick's ability to lead the group. Rick challenges everyone to  leave the group. When no one leaves he warns them that "If you're staying, this isn't a democracy anymore."  As the camera pans back a prison looms in the background.
What to expect: Rick discovers the prison and in order to make it a safe haven he must secure the premises, which pushes the gang to it's breaking point. 
A SciFi Chick Muses Rating:

Well as I stated in my Revolution muse. I am an apocalyptic lovin' nut! Put the word zombie in front of apocalypse and well, all I can say is..."you had me at zombie"! The Hubs and I love this one and will be watching this one live!



Trailer:

I would love to hear about the shows you plan on watching this season. And if you would like to add reviews or disagree with mine, I welcome your comments!

(Please play nice in the comments.)


Five by Five

The SciFi Chick

No comments:

Post a Comment