Translate

Sunday, August 12, 2012






The SciFi Chick's "Museview" Criteria.





Since I am about to write my first Museview, (movie review) for this blog, I will provide the  ratings criteria.







  • Strong Female Leads. I am sure it's apparent to those who follow this blog that strong female character types rank very high on my list of must have in my fiction.
  • FXs: Do the special effects enhance or distract my viewing experience.
  • Do I find myself rolling my eyes? I go to the movies for escapism, and I do not expect it try to imitate real life. However, when sci-fi goes wrong it can go really wrong (Battlefield Earth anyone?). If I am rolling my eyes rather being involved in the plot then it's probably a "stinker".
  • Am I having FUN? I don't expect every sci-fi film I attend to be the next Blade Runner or Lord of The Rings, I just want have a good time. If the movie is as good as a LOTR's then, that is when the 5 out 5 rating will happen!
  • Preconceived Notions: I admit that "hype" about a film will affect my expectations. If I am told by the masses that a movie is..." going to be a sci-fi classic" or "it blew my mind" those kinds of statements tend to influence my opinions. It's always disappointing when someone oversell a film and then it doesn't live up to the hype.
  • Source Material: If a movie is based on a short story or novel, I will judge the movie based on missing or changed storyline. That doesn't mean if it didn't follow the book exactly I hated it, sometimes the changes made in a story are for the better.
I am not trying to be a professional movie reviewer . I'm just a sci-fi fan sharing her musings about a film.



Below is my rating scale:


5 out 5 SciFi Chicks recommend = LOVE IT! It's a must see! New Classic!
4 out 5 SciFi Chicks recommend= Great Film.  It's a must see!
3 out 5 SciFi Chicks recommend= Fun film, more than likely fluff, but I enjoyed.
2 out 5 SciFi Chicks recommend= It was ok, wait for pay per view.
1 out 5 SciFi Chicks recommend= Not good enough pay for it, wait for it Netflix or HBO
0 out 5 SciFi Chicks recommend= STINKS, Skip it!







No comments:

Post a Comment